Seven candidates in running for Senate
JACKSON — The qualifying deadline for the special election for Senate District 36 has expired. The following candidates filed qualifying papers with the Office of the Secretary of State: Albert Butler, Port Gibson; Jerry L. Cain Sr., Fayette; Elvis E. Colenberg, Fayette; Kenneth H. Ramsey, Hazlehurst; Jimmy D. Strong, Utica; Ken Dale Sullivan, Wesson; and, Jazma Wheeler, Crystal Springs
The vacancy of Senate District 36 was created by the resignation of Sen. Vincent Davis last December. District 36 contains precincts within Claiborne, Copiah, Hinds and Jefferson counties.
Gov. Haley Barbour issued a writ of election stating the special election will be held Feb. 16. If a runoff election is required, it will be held March 9.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Accounting firm finds problems at troubled MDMR
- Hosemann recruiting Realtors to market tax-forfeited property
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Davis resigns, turning over mayor's office early
- Woman indicted for Medicaid fraud; faces up to 35 years in prison
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- Report: State's teacher education programs 'mediocre at best'
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones