Seven candidates in running for Senate
JACKSON — The qualifying deadline for the special election for Senate District 36 has expired. The following candidates filed qualifying papers with the Office of the Secretary of State: Albert Butler, Port Gibson; Jerry L. Cain Sr., Fayette; Elvis E. Colenberg, Fayette; Kenneth H. Ramsey, Hazlehurst; Jimmy D. Strong, Utica; Ken Dale Sullivan, Wesson; and, Jazma Wheeler, Crystal Springs
The vacancy of Senate District 36 was created by the resignation of Sen. Vincent Davis last December. District 36 contains precincts within Claiborne, Copiah, Hinds and Jefferson counties.
Gov. Haley Barbour issued a writ of election stating the special election will be held Feb. 16. If a runoff election is required, it will be held March 9.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- MBJ Business Woman of the Year Top 10
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- (UPDATED — BREAKING NEWS) American Specialty Alloys won’t locate $1.2B mill in Mississippi
- Meet the MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year — Rosemary Smith, a business hotshot
- DAVID DALLAS — Delbert Hosemann: An unsung hero chooses to remain so