Seven candidates in running for Senate
JACKSON — The qualifying deadline for the special election for Senate District 36 has expired. The following candidates filed qualifying papers with the Office of the Secretary of State: Albert Butler, Port Gibson; Jerry L. Cain Sr., Fayette; Elvis E. Colenberg, Fayette; Kenneth H. Ramsey, Hazlehurst; Jimmy D. Strong, Utica; Ken Dale Sullivan, Wesson; and, Jazma Wheeler, Crystal Springs
The vacancy of Senate District 36 was created by the resignation of Sen. Vincent Davis last December. District 36 contains precincts within Claiborne, Copiah, Hinds and Jefferson counties.
Gov. Haley Barbour issued a writ of election stating the special election will be held Feb. 16. If a runoff election is required, it will be held March 9.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- Developers withdraw zoning application for former country club