Seven candidates in running for Senate
JACKSON — The qualifying deadline for the special election for Senate District 36 has expired. The following candidates filed qualifying papers with the Office of the Secretary of State: Albert Butler, Port Gibson; Jerry L. Cain Sr., Fayette; Elvis E. Colenberg, Fayette; Kenneth H. Ramsey, Hazlehurst; Jimmy D. Strong, Utica; Ken Dale Sullivan, Wesson; and, Jazma Wheeler, Crystal Springs
The vacancy of Senate District 36 was created by the resignation of Sen. Vincent Davis last December. District 36 contains precincts within Claiborne, Copiah, Hinds and Jefferson counties.
Gov. Haley Barbour issued a writ of election stating the special election will be held Feb. 16. If a runoff election is required, it will be held March 9.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail
- Researchers fly drone into hurricane for the first time
- House votes for transfer of Yellow Creek Port land to state