Seven candidates in running for Senate
JACKSON — The qualifying deadline for the special election for Senate District 36 has expired. The following candidates filed qualifying papers with the Office of the Secretary of State: Albert Butler, Port Gibson; Jerry L. Cain Sr., Fayette; Elvis E. Colenberg, Fayette; Kenneth H. Ramsey, Hazlehurst; Jimmy D. Strong, Utica; Ken Dale Sullivan, Wesson; and, Jazma Wheeler, Crystal Springs
The vacancy of Senate District 36 was created by the resignation of Sen. Vincent Davis last December. District 36 contains precincts within Claiborne, Copiah, Hinds and Jefferson counties.
Gov. Haley Barbour issued a writ of election stating the special election will be held Feb. 16. If a runoff election is required, it will be held March 9.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015