American Airlines to send pilots home
Published: January 22,2010
FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines says it will lay off up to 175 pilots beginning next month because it needs fewer pilots after cutting some flights .
American today sent notices to 80 pilots, telling them that they will lose their jobs at the end of February. A spokesman said there could be a second round of furloughs in the spring.
American’s parent, AMR Corp., said this week it lost $344 million in the fourth quarter. The company has lost more than $3.5 billion in the past two years.
The company says it has too many pilots after cutting some flights because of weak travel demand, as well as fewer pilot retirements than expected.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail
- Researchers fly drone into hurricane for the first time
- House votes for transfer of Yellow Creek Port land to state
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner