American Airlines to send pilots home
by Associated Press
Published: January 22,2010
FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines says it will lay off up to 175 pilots beginning next month because it needs fewer pilots after cutting some flights .
American today sent notices to 80 pilots, telling them that they will lose their jobs at the end of February. A spokesman said there could be a second round of furloughs in the spring.
American’s parent, AMR Corp., said this week it lost $344 million in the fourth quarter. The company has lost more than $3.5 billion in the past two years.
The company says it has too many pilots after cutting some flights because of weak travel demand, as well as fewer pilot retirements than expected.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case