American Airlines to send pilots home
Published: January 22,2010
FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines says it will lay off up to 175 pilots beginning next month because it needs fewer pilots after cutting some flights .
American today sent notices to 80 pilots, telling them that they will lose their jobs at the end of February. A spokesman said there could be a second round of furloughs in the spring.
American’s parent, AMR Corp., said this week it lost $344 million in the fourth quarter. The company has lost more than $3.5 billion in the past two years.
The company says it has too many pilots after cutting some flights because of weak travel demand, as well as fewer pilot retirements than expected.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015