American Airlines to send pilots home
Published: January 22,2010
FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines says it will lay off up to 175 pilots beginning next month because it needs fewer pilots after cutting some flights .
American today sent notices to 80 pilots, telling them that they will lose their jobs at the end of February. A spokesman said there could be a second round of furloughs in the spring.
American’s parent, AMR Corp., said this week it lost $344 million in the fourth quarter. The company has lost more than $3.5 billion in the past two years.
The company says it has too many pilots after cutting some flights because of weak travel demand, as well as fewer pilot retirements than expected.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Six out of eight universities could have higher tuitions in 2015
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Humana and Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation partnering
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again