Coast mayor charged with embezzlement
Published: January 25,2010
WAVELAND — Authorities say longtime Waveland Mayor Tommy Longo has been charged with embezzlement, The Associated Press reports.
Alderwoman Lily Stahler says the three-term Democrat was charged Jan. 22, though she had few details.
Stahler says it appears the charge is related to fuel use and not Hurricane Katrina money, which has poured into the coastal town since it was nearly washed away by the 2005 storm.
The mayor’s office referred calls to city attorney Zack Butterworth. A man in Butterworth’s office said Butterworth wasn’t available and refused to take a message for him and said to call back later.
Stahler said she’s not sure what the board will do. She said the accusation may not be grounds for removal from office without a conviction.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Lawmakers: Time to raze IHL
- Developers withdraw zoning application for former country club
- DAVID WILLIAMS: Smart traffic signals pave way for better driving in connected world
- Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame planning gets underway
- Office occupancy edged up throughout Metro Jackson