Coast mayor charged with embezzlement
by Associated Press
Published: January 25,2010
WAVELAND — Authorities say longtime Waveland Mayor Tommy Longo has been charged with embezzlement, The Associated Press reports.
Alderwoman Lily Stahler says the three-term Democrat was charged Jan. 22, though she had few details.
Stahler says it appears the charge is related to fuel use and not Hurricane Katrina money, which has poured into the coastal town since it was nearly washed away by the 2005 storm.
The mayor’s office referred calls to city attorney Zack Butterworth. A man in Butterworth’s office said Butterworth wasn’t available and refused to take a message for him and said to call back later.
Stahler said she’s not sure what the board will do. She said the accusation may not be grounds for removal from office without a conviction.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years