Home Depot cutting its payroll
NEW YORK — Home Depot Inc., the largest U.S. home-improvement retailer, said it is laying off 1,000 staffers as it cuts three pilot programs and cuts some support positions.
An internal memo sent to staffers by CEO Frank Blake said about 900 of the cuts stem from consolidating some support functions in its human resources, finance and other divisions.
The rest come from the company closing a small-format pilot store in Wilson, N.C.; a temporary hurricane recovery outlet in Waveland, Miss.; and a clearance outlet in Austell, Ga. Blake said in the memo there were no plans to close any full-size Home Depot stores.
The cuts are less than 1 percent of Home Depot’s more than 300,000 workers.
Home Depot spokesman Ron Defeo said as part of the restructuring the company will create 200 jobs in Atlanta, where most human resources administration will be handled, although there will still be a field human resources team.
Home Depot, based in Atlanta, and other home-improvement retailers have faced sales declines from the long-standing construction slowdown and consumers holding back on do-it-yourself projects amid worry over jobs and home values. Although the U.S. housing market is stabilizing, after a nearly three-year decline, home prices remain far below their peak.
Home Depot’s profit is about even with last year for the first nine months of the fiscal year, a period that ended Nov. 1, while revenue is down about 9 percent.
“This is not a case of the company cutting expenses in reaction to broader economic pressures or our business performance,” Blake said in the memo. “We are making prudent structural changes where it makes business sense to consolidate some functions.”
DeFeo said employees were notified of the cuts Tuesday and will receive a minimum severance of 60 days pay from their last day worked.
The pilot stores will close over the next six to eight weeks as merchandise is cleared out.
Shares rose 11 cents to $27.73 during midday trading.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Home Depot cutting its payroll”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- State’s MAGIC accounting system works, albeit with glitches
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium