Cochran joins Senate Aerospace Caucus
Published: January 28,2010
WASHINGTON — Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) has joined the new Senate Aerospace Caucus, in part to promote the growing aerospace sector in Mississippi.
The bipartisan caucus has been organized to promote a “strong, secure and competitive” aerospace sector within the United States.
“The aerospace sector is growing in Mississippi because the state has dedicated itself to providing a qualified workforce and a friendly environment for manufacturing, research, development and testing. This caucus is just one way I can help ensure that this sector of our economy continues to be a positive force in our state,” Cochran said.
“There are policy issues before Congress that will affect the future of the aerospace sector. Our new caucus can work to shape the outcome of those issues so that the American aerospace sector continues to lead the world.”
In Mississippi, the aerospace sector employs more than 13,500 workers, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and company reports. The industry in Mississippi exported more than $54.3 million in 2007 in aerospace products and parts.
The Senate Aerospace Caucus set a number of strategic objectives, including:
• promoting education and workforce development programs to prepare students and workers for aerospace careers
• increasing the percentage of U.S. students graduating with Science, Technology, Education and Mathematics (STEM)-related degrees
• increasing the export of American-made aerospace manufactured goods
• providing oversight of federal aerospace acquisition programs (civil, defense and space)
• improving collaboration among U.S. government agencies involved in aerospace research and development
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “Cochran joins Senate Aerospace Caucus”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- ‘Little Boogaloo’ Eden Brent happy singing the blues
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Hole-by-hole look at Sanderson Farms Championship course at CCJ
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal