Unemployment claims scare investors
Published: February 4,2010
NEW YORK — Stocks are down sharply as concerns about unemployment are overshadowing a jump in factory orders.
The Labor Department’s report today of an unexpected increase in first-time claims for unemployment is reminding investors that the economic recovery will be difficult. So they’re looking past the Commerce Department’s news that factory orders rose more than expected in December.
Orders increased by 1 percent, double the 0.5 percent gain forecast by economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters.
The Dow Jones industrial average is down 172 at 10,098. The Standard & Poor’s 500 index is down 21 at 1,075, while the Nasdaq composite index is down 41 at 2,149.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option