Unemployment claims scare investors
by Associated Press
Published: February 4,2010
NEW YORK — Stocks are down sharply as concerns about unemployment are overshadowing a jump in factory orders.
The Labor Department’s report today of an unexpected increase in first-time claims for unemployment is reminding investors that the economic recovery will be difficult. So they’re looking past the Commerce Department’s news that factory orders rose more than expected in December.
Orders increased by 1 percent, double the 0.5 percent gain forecast by economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters.
The Dow Jones industrial average is down 172 at 10,098. The Standard & Poor’s 500 index is down 21 at 1,075, while the Nasdaq composite index is down 41 at 2,149.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- John Fletcher joins Jones Walker