Unemployment claims scare investors
Published: February 4,2010
NEW YORK — Stocks are down sharply as concerns about unemployment are overshadowing a jump in factory orders.
The Labor Department’s report today of an unexpected increase in first-time claims for unemployment is reminding investors that the economic recovery will be difficult. So they’re looking past the Commerce Department’s news that factory orders rose more than expected in December.
Orders increased by 1 percent, double the 0.5 percent gain forecast by economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters.
The Dow Jones industrial average is down 172 at 10,098. The Standard & Poor’s 500 index is down 21 at 1,075, while the Nasdaq composite index is down 41 at 2,149.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Health officials identify another case of chikungunya virus
- Biloxi council approves $29M contract for baseball stadium construction
- Cochran continues to question EPA over new regulations
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19