Keeton named permanent UMMC dean
JACKSON — Dr. James E. Keeton has been named dean of the University of Mississippi School of Medicine in Jackson.
Keeton has been interim dean of the medical school for the past seven months. He was also named vice chancellor for health affairs.
Ole Miss Chancellor Dan Jones, who formerly held both positions, says he will submit the names of Keeton and others for posts at the teaching hospital to the state College Board for approval.
Keeton, a professor of surgery and pediatrics, earned his medical degree in 1965 from UMC. He served residencies in urology at the University of Mississippi Medical Center and in London.
The Columbus native returned to Mississippi in 1970 after two years in the Navy. He has been in academic medicine and private practice including a stint as Jones’ chief of staff.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal