Keeton named permanent UMMC dean
JACKSON — Dr. James E. Keeton has been named dean of the University of Mississippi School of Medicine in Jackson.
Keeton has been interim dean of the medical school for the past seven months. He was also named vice chancellor for health affairs.
Ole Miss Chancellor Dan Jones, who formerly held both positions, says he will submit the names of Keeton and others for posts at the teaching hospital to the state College Board for approval.
Keeton, a professor of surgery and pediatrics, earned his medical degree in 1965 from UMC. He served residencies in urology at the University of Mississippi Medical Center and in London.
The Columbus native returned to Mississippi in 1970 after two years in the Navy. He has been in academic medicine and private practice including a stint as Jones’ chief of staff.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MDA introduces new 'Mississippi Homecoming' tourism ad campaign
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county