Keeton named permanent UMMC dean
JACKSON — Dr. James E. Keeton has been named dean of the University of Mississippi School of Medicine in Jackson.
Keeton has been interim dean of the medical school for the past seven months. He was also named vice chancellor for health affairs.
Ole Miss Chancellor Dan Jones, who formerly held both positions, says he will submit the names of Keeton and others for posts at the teaching hospital to the state College Board for approval.
Keeton, a professor of surgery and pediatrics, earned his medical degree in 1965 from UMC. He served residencies in urology at the University of Mississippi Medical Center and in London.
The Columbus native returned to Mississippi in 1970 after two years in the Navy. He has been in academic medicine and private practice including a stint as Jones’ chief of staff.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- Conservator: Schools had too many employees