Keeton named permanent UMMC dean
JACKSON — Dr. James E. Keeton has been named dean of the University of Mississippi School of Medicine in Jackson.
Keeton has been interim dean of the medical school for the past seven months. He was also named vice chancellor for health affairs.
Ole Miss Chancellor Dan Jones, who formerly held both positions, says he will submit the names of Keeton and others for posts at the teaching hospital to the state College Board for approval.
Keeton, a professor of surgery and pediatrics, earned his medical degree in 1965 from UMC. He served residencies in urology at the University of Mississippi Medical Center and in London.
The Columbus native returned to Mississippi in 1970 after two years in the Navy. He has been in academic medicine and private practice including a stint as Jones’ chief of staff.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Canadian company purchasing Southern Lumber for nearly $50M
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Lawmakers question education leaders about escalating administrative costs
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- C Spire completes acquisition of MegaGate Broadband
- Peavey Electronics reorganizing under new globalization plan
- Tourism conference being held on Coast; industry to ask state for more money
- Columbia Parachute expanding, relocating to BusinessPlex