Keeton named permanent UMMC dean
JACKSON — Dr. James E. Keeton has been named dean of the University of Mississippi School of Medicine in Jackson.
Keeton has been interim dean of the medical school for the past seven months. He was also named vice chancellor for health affairs.
Ole Miss Chancellor Dan Jones, who formerly held both positions, says he will submit the names of Keeton and others for posts at the teaching hospital to the state College Board for approval.
Keeton, a professor of surgery and pediatrics, earned his medical degree in 1965 from UMC. He served residencies in urology at the University of Mississippi Medical Center and in London.
The Columbus native returned to Mississippi in 1970 after two years in the Navy. He has been in academic medicine and private practice including a stint as Jones’ chief of staff.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- DAVID DALLAS — Delbert Hosemann: An unsung hero chooses to remain so
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- New Orleans congestion keeps Chiquita Gulfport port
- (UPDATED — BREAKING NEWS) American Specialty Alloys won’t locate $1.2B mill in Mississippi
- More money needed to get Biloxi baseball stadium open on time
- Cox won't seek a second term as Greenville mayor
- Mississippi auto parts workers in union drive plan protest
- Gunn to seek phaseout of personal income tax