House proposes another budget plan
Published: February 11,2010
The House passed a bill yesterday that proposes taking $79 million from financial reserves and putting it into several state programs, with the biggest chunk going to education.
The bill passed the Senate in a different form last month. The revised version returns to the Senate for more work.
Gov. Haley Barbour has cut $458.5 million out of what started as a nearly $6 billion state budget. State revenues have fallen short of expectations for 17 months in a row.
The fiscal year ends June 30.
The bill is Senate Bill 2688.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren