House proposes another budget plan
Published: February 11,2010
The House passed a bill yesterday that proposes taking $79 million from financial reserves and putting it into several state programs, with the biggest chunk going to education.
The bill passed the Senate in a different form last month. The revised version returns to the Senate for more work.
Gov. Haley Barbour has cut $458.5 million out of what started as a nearly $6 billion state budget. State revenues have fallen short of expectations for 17 months in a row.
The fiscal year ends June 30.
The bill is Senate Bill 2688.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs