Port to fund rail-link study
The Regional Railroad Authority of East Mississippi would oversee about 45 miles of track from Waynesboro to Lucedale, where existing lines serve port facilities in Pascagoula and Mobile.
The group is seeking $225 million in federal transportation funds.
Rail authority officials tell The Mississippi Press that the money will help with planning and for engineering services needed to apply for other funding.
Areas along the rail route are hoping for spin-off companies, such as container yards, to boost their economies as the Pascagoula and Mobile ports expand.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability