Airlines’ performance up significantly
Published: February 15,2010
The nation’s largest airlines had an on-time performance rate in 2009 that was their best since 2003, according to the Air Travel Consumer Report released by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).
In addition, the report shows that the carriers’ rate of mishandled baggage last year was the lowest recorded since 2004.
According to information filed with the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, the 19 carriers reporting on-time performance recorded an overall on-time arrival rate of 79.5 percent in 2009, an improvement over 2008′s rate of 76 and the best annual record since the 82 percent on-time rate of 2003. In addition, the carriers recorded a mishandled baggage rate of 3.91 per 1,000 passengers in 2009, an improvement over 2008′s 5.26 and the best mark for a calendar year since the rate of 3.84 recorded in 2002.
The carriers recorded an on-time performance rate of 72 percent in Dec. 2009, an improvement over Dec. 2008′s 65.3 percent but down from Nov. 2009′s 88.6 mark, which was the highest on-time rate since comparable data was first collected in 1995.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- CSpire offering 1Phone 6, IPhone 6 Plus on Sept. 19
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- MBJ's Business Marketplace set for Sept. 19 at Mississippi's Trade Mart
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- State's corn crop could set new yield record
- Owner of former hospital given deadline