Morgan Keegan holds on to top spot
MEMPHIS — Morgan Keegan & Company Inc. was the eighth leading underwriter of municipal bonds in the country for 2009, serving as book running manager on 578 issues with a par amount of $12.8 billion, according to Thomson Reuters.
The firm was the 10th leading underwriter in 2008.
Morgan Keegan was also the leading underwriter in the nation in terms of number of issues of Build America Bonds (BABs), a new category of bonds created by the Stimulus Act in 2009. The firm served as senior manager on 85 issues with a par amount of $2.5 billion. BABs are taxable bonds that help broaden the market for municipal debt and provide a more efficient subsidy, rather than tax-exempt debt, to governmental capital investment. Additionally, as underwriter of BABs competitive issues, the firm was number one nationally on 72 issues with a par amount of $1.6 billion.
Regionally, for the 17th consecutive year, Morgan Keegan dominated municipal bond underwriting in the South Central U.S. in 2009. The six-state region includes Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee. Serving as senior manager on 232 issues with a par value of $4.9 billion, the firm captured a 22.7 percent market share.
Morgan Keegan was also the leading municipal bond underwriter, in terms of number of transactions, in the 10-state Southeast region of the country that includes Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia. The firm senior managed 307 issues with a par value of $7.6 billion, capturing a 10.5 percent market share in 2009 compared to 9.2 percent in 2008.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip