Big Easy sees meetings, conventions decrease
by Associated Press
Published: February 16,2010
NEW ORLEANS — Attendance at meetings and conventions in New Orleans dropped in 2009 as travelers and exhibitors took a tighter hold on their money.
Tourism officials say that although the city played host to more meetings in 2009 than in the previous three years following Hurricane Katrina, attendance dropped 10 to 25 percent, depending on the event.
Following Katrina, the convention business saw major year-to-year gains in attendance in 2007 and 2008.
All told, there were about 634,000 attendees at meetings held at the New Orleans convention center in 2009, about 58,000 fewer than the convention center had anticipated at the end of 2008. About 684,000 people attended events there in 2008.
The figures do not include meetings held in hotels.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Elizabeth Harris
- Brown would make history if confirmed as judge
- Real estate company paying $1M for compromising wetlands
- Nullification and interposition
- Authorities: Suspect in ricin-laced letters case appeared to try to run
- Froyo y’all: Couple brings 'delicious' dessert to Delta
- Undersecretary: 'I understand the frustration' over catfish inspections