Applications available for ‘Financial Readiness’
JACKSON — Applications for the 2010 Mississippi Banner School in Financial Readiness award are now available. The Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) and the Mississippi Council on Economic Education (MCEE) have partnered to offer an award to schools for preparing students to be economically and financially ready to participate in the real world.
The “Mississippi Banner School in Financial Readiness” award is to recognize Mississippi schools that are effectively teaching students economic, financial and entrepreneurial skills and to reward students who are the most successful in demonstrating economic and financial literacy.
Entries will be judged in three categories: Primary (K-4); Intermediate/Middle (5-8); and, Senior High (9-12). Award winners will receive recognition in a formal program and student scholarships. Selected schools will receive a banner to display at their school designating the school as a Mississippi Banner School in Financial Readiness. Finally, administrators will be given the opportunity to award $500 scholarships to at least three students who are achieving the highest success.
To date, more than 5,000 K-12 teachers have received professional development including the Council for Economic Education curriculum that brings interactive standards-based economic, financial and entrepreneurial lessons to the classroom.
The deadline for eligible schools to apply is Aug. 31, 2010. To download an application and contest rules, visit www.mscee.org or www.mde.k12.ms.us. For additional information about the programming, contact the MCEE at (601) 974-1325, or e-mail to email@example.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Jackson to get C Spire's high-speed internet
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force
- New York firm buying majority interest in Tupelo mall, shopping center