Applications available for ‘Financial Readiness’
JACKSON — Applications for the 2010 Mississippi Banner School in Financial Readiness award are now available. The Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) and the Mississippi Council on Economic Education (MCEE) have partnered to offer an award to schools for preparing students to be economically and financially ready to participate in the real world.
The “Mississippi Banner School in Financial Readiness” award is to recognize Mississippi schools that are effectively teaching students economic, financial and entrepreneurial skills and to reward students who are the most successful in demonstrating economic and financial literacy.
Entries will be judged in three categories: Primary (K-4); Intermediate/Middle (5-8); and, Senior High (9-12). Award winners will receive recognition in a formal program and student scholarships. Selected schools will receive a banner to display at their school designating the school as a Mississippi Banner School in Financial Readiness. Finally, administrators will be given the opportunity to award $500 scholarships to at least three students who are achieving the highest success.
To date, more than 5,000 K-12 teachers have received professional development including the Council for Economic Education curriculum that brings interactive standards-based economic, financial and entrepreneurial lessons to the classroom.
The deadline for eligible schools to apply is Aug. 31, 2010. To download an application and contest rules, visit www.mscee.org or www.mde.k12.ms.us. For additional information about the programming, contact the MCEE at (601) 974-1325, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability