MSU committee receives budget-cutting recommendations
Published: February 18,2010
STARKVILLE — Nearly 60 recommendations resulting from a three-month effort are being released by a A Mississippi State University committee charged last October with identifying ways to respond to higher education budget cuts has received nearly 60 recommendations.
The President’s Select Committee on Efficiencies and Innovations made the report available to the MSU community on a secure campus web site Feb. 17.
Holland Faculty Senate president Hart Bailey said, “MSU president Mark Keenum made it clear from the outset that he wanted transparency at all levels of the process.”
Convened by Keenum, the 33-member committee was a broad-based working group of faculty, staff, administrators and student representatives.
“As part of a proactive and all-inclusive approach to our budget challenges, I sought advice from every segment of our university through the committee,” Keenum said. “These individuals deserve high praise for their commitment and the many hours they deliberated.”
The university said that campus feedback would be evaluated and considered as the proposals move forward.
According to figures from the State Institutions of Higher Learning, MSU will see an appropriations and purchasing power loss of $18.1 million in FY2011, which will grow to $41 million in FY2013.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics