Navistar Defense to build more MRAPs
WEST POINT — Navistar Defense, LLC, has been awarded a contract for $752 million to provide 1,050 enhanced International MaxxPro Dash Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles. Vehicles under the award from the U.S. Marine Corps Systems Command will include the DXM independent suspension solution.
Under the new contract, MaxxPro Dash vehicles will incorporate the DXM independent suspension solution provided by Hendrickson Truck Suspension Systems and AxleTech International. This vehicle upgrade further improves the vehicle’s off-road capabilities, which is vital given Afghanistan’s lack of road infrastructure.
Since May 2007, Navistar has received orders for a total of 7,494 MaxxPro MRAP vehicles to help combat improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and other threats. In late 2008, the company modified its design for added mobility and produced the MaxxPro Dash MRAP variant. The addition of an independent suspension solution further improves mobility and is one of several capability insertions that will be incorporated into the next 1,050 MaxxPro Dash units. Navistar also has provided more than 8,100 International® 7000 Series vehicles to the Afghan National Army and Afghan National Police.
Navistar will conduct work at its Mississippi plant in West Point as well as in Garland, Texas. Deliveries will begin in April and will be completed by the summer of 2010. Parts are not included in the contract.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Lost Pizza discovered — Restaurateurs begin franchising
- Conservator: Schools had too many employees
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Study says state sacrificing billions of dollars, 20,000 jobs in refusing Medicaid expansion
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- Keeping our eye on ... Laurel Donahoo
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets