Agriculture is a real business, needs real help
Agriculture in Mississippi is an almost after thought these days in Washington.
Despite the fact that Mississippi farmers lost nearly $500 million last year because of torrential rains and floods, policy makers in Washington do not feel the need to provide aid.
In an exclusive story in today’s Mississippi Business Journal, the agriculture relief backers in the Senate, including the bill’s co-sponsors Cochran, Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) and Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), attached disaster assistance for farmers of $1.5 billion on the jobs bill, which had gained wide bipartisan support and the backing of President Barack Obama.
However, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) unexpectedly quashed the legislation. Reid said he wanted a trimmed bill to “keep at bay criticism that the Senate was producing yet more legislation loaded with special deals.”
We understand they need to keep “pork” projects to a minimum.
What we don’t understand is why the Mississippi farmers must take a back seat to other legislation.
Why can’t agriculture aid stand on its own?
As a gauge of the magnitude of the disaster, in Nov. 2009 the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) declared 79 of Mississippi’s 82 counties disaster areas. The U.S. Small Business Administration would subsequently make available economic injury disaster loans to small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives and most private nonprofits of all sizes in all 82 counties.
While,Sen. Reid is worried about his image, dozens if not hundreds of Mississippi farmers may not be able to afford to plant a crop this spring.
These are real problems and real people in Mississippi, and agriculture is a real industry and a real business, whether any politicians want to admit it or not.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job