Byers named to epidemiologist post
Published: February 24,2010
“Dr. Byers has worked in public health for more than 15 years, and we’ve worked side-by-side for several years in the epidemiology office,” said Dr. Mary Currier. “During his tenure at MSDH, Dr. Byers has played a significant role in public health emergencies such as Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Gustav, the whooping cough outbreak a few years ago as well as in disease surveillance and prevention activities that take place daily. His experience and passion for public health make him the right person.”
Byers has been a physician with MSDH since 1993, when he served as medical director for the Copiah County and Hinds County Health Departments. Most recently, he held the position of medical director of the Office of Epidemiology and deputy state epidemiologist.
“I am honored to be appointed to this position and truly appreciate Dr. Currier’s confidence,” said Dr. Byers. “This is an exciting opportunity. I look forward to continuing our important efforts in addressing and mitigating communicable diseases in Mississippi.”
A Jackson native and resident, Byers received his bachelor of science degree from Millsaps College in biology. He earned his medical degree from the University of Mississippi, with training in internal medicine in 1992.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90