District gets emergency declaration
OKOLONA — Gov. Haley Barbour has declared a state of emergency exists in the Okolona Municipal Separate School District, authorizing the state Department of Education to take immediate corrective action.
“After reviewing documentation provided by the state Department of Education, I am convinced that existing conditions in the Okolona Municipal Separate School District jeopardize the educational interests of the children enrolled there,” Governor Barbour said. “(This) action will allow the state to take immediate steps so the school district can begin to recover from serious fiscal and academic deficiencies.”
The governor’s proclamation is in response to a resolution adopted by the Mississippi Board of Education at its Feb. 19 meeting, requesting the state of emergency declaration.
A release from Barbour’s office said: “The Mississippi Board of Education found that there is sufficient cause to believe that an extreme emergency situation exists in the Okolona Municipal Separate School District brought on by serious concerns about the financial resources of the District and serious violations of accreditation standards and a continued pattern of poor student performance. The district has placed school children in an unstable and inadequate environment, denying the students the opportunity to learn, excel and obtain a free and appropriate public education.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “District gets emergency declaration”
Top Posts & Pages
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- USM staffers Olivia Hurst and Catherine Lott recognized by Public Relations Association of Mississippi