Byers named acting state epidemiologist
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 28,2010
Dr. Paul Byers has been named Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) acting state epidemiologist. The position was previously held by State Health Officer Dr. Mary Currier.
“Dr. Byers has worked in public health for more than 15 years, and we’ve worked side-by-side for several years in the epidemiology office,” said Dr. Mary Currier. “During his tenure at MSDH, Dr. Byers has played a significant role in public health emergencies such as Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Gustav, the whooping cough outbreak a few years ago as well as in disease surveillance and prevention activities that take place daily. His experience and passion for public health make him the right person.”
Byers has been a physician with MSDH since 1993, when he served as medical director for the Copiah County and Hinds County Health Departments. Most recently, he held the position of medical director of the Office of Epidemiology and deputy state epidemiologist.
“I am honored to be appointed to this position and truly appreciate Dr. Currier’s confidence,” said Dr. Byers. “This is an exciting opportunity. I look forward to continuing our important efforts in addressing and mitigating communicable diseases in Mississippi.”
A Jackson native and resident, Byers received his bachelor of science degree from Millsaps College in biology. He earned his medical degree from the University of Mississippi, with training in internal medicine in 1992.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Mississippi Power CEO's departure due to withholding Kemper information from regulators
- Study says Nissan subsidies total $1.33B; MDA says overestimated
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Renee Flynt made Craftsmen's Guild president
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- Defunct casino to be moved; cost could rise depending on 'crud'
- Undersecretary: 'I understand the frustration' over catfish inspections
- Nullification and interposition