Byers named acting state epidemiologist
by MBJ Staff
Published: February 28,2010
Dr. Paul Byers has been named Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) acting state epidemiologist. The position was previously held by State Health Officer Dr. Mary Currier.
“Dr. Byers has worked in public health for more than 15 years, and we’ve worked side-by-side for several years in the epidemiology office,” said Dr. Mary Currier. “During his tenure at MSDH, Dr. Byers has played a significant role in public health emergencies such as Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Gustav, the whooping cough outbreak a few years ago as well as in disease surveillance and prevention activities that take place daily. His experience and passion for public health make him the right person.”
Byers has been a physician with MSDH since 1993, when he served as medical director for the Copiah County and Hinds County Health Departments. Most recently, he held the position of medical director of the Office of Epidemiology and deputy state epidemiologist.
“I am honored to be appointed to this position and truly appreciate Dr. Currier’s confidence,” said Dr. Byers. “This is an exciting opportunity. I look forward to continuing our important efforts in addressing and mitigating communicable diseases in Mississippi.”
A Jackson native and resident, Byers received his bachelor of science degree from Millsaps College in biology. He earned his medical degree from the University of Mississippi, with training in internal medicine in 1992.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation