Safeco to offer wind coverage to homeowners
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — State Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney says Safeco Insurance plans to offer homeowners insurance, including wind coverage, in south Mississippi.
Chaney says the company will offer 500 to 1,000 homeowner policies wind coverage beginning in mid-March.
Some companies have restricted wind coverage, stopped offering it altogether to new customers and/or nonrenewed policyholders who live near shore.
Chaney believes Safeco also will offer discounts in the near future to policyholders who strengthen their homes to minimize hurricane damage.
Chaney says one other large insurer, Republic Insurance Group, is writing new homeowner policies with wind coverage on the coast, as are some smaller companies.
Since Hurricane Katrina, many policyholders have been forced into the state-run wind pool. The wind pool maintains rates higher than the private market.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State