Safeco to offer wind coverage to homeowners
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — State Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney says Safeco Insurance plans to offer homeowners insurance, including wind coverage, in south Mississippi.
Chaney says the company will offer 500 to 1,000 homeowner policies wind coverage beginning in mid-March.
Some companies have restricted wind coverage, stopped offering it altogether to new customers and/or nonrenewed policyholders who live near shore.
Chaney believes Safeco also will offer discounts in the near future to policyholders who strengthen their homes to minimize hurricane damage.
Chaney says one other large insurer, Republic Insurance Group, is writing new homeowner policies with wind coverage on the coast, as are some smaller companies.
Since Hurricane Katrina, many policyholders have been forced into the state-run wind pool. The wind pool maintains rates higher than the private market.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Tyler Raborn finds success and fulfillment with Raborn Media
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge