Safeco to offer wind coverage to homeowners
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — State Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney says Safeco Insurance plans to offer homeowners insurance, including wind coverage, in south Mississippi.
Chaney says the company will offer 500 to 1,000 homeowner policies wind coverage beginning in mid-March.
Some companies have restricted wind coverage, stopped offering it altogether to new customers and/or nonrenewed policyholders who live near shore.
Chaney believes Safeco also will offer discounts in the near future to policyholders who strengthen their homes to minimize hurricane damage.
Chaney says one other large insurer, Republic Insurance Group, is writing new homeowner policies with wind coverage on the coast, as are some smaller companies.
Since Hurricane Katrina, many policyholders have been forced into the state-run wind pool. The wind pool maintains rates higher than the private market.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Palmertree blocked from using public funds for legal defense
- Two companies fined for violations of 'No-Call' law
- Report: Mississippi only state to see drop in home prices
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- John Ferrucci'a perfect voice is perfect for the Silver Slipper Casino
- City suing Hercules for pollution at shuttered plant site
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Ex-Democrat Taylor cleared to run in primary as Republican
- Rankin chosen as new president of Alcorn State