Delta city owes IRS big tax check
METCALFE — Metcalfe Mayor Corey Holmes says the city has not remitted taxes to the government and now the Internal Revenue Service wants $200,000.
Metcalfe and city attorney Bennie L. Richard say the money comes from federal income taxes the town failed to pay over a 10-year period. The taxes are from the withholdings of municipal employees.
Holmes and Richard say there are also five years of audits missing. Holmes and Richard said the town has contacted the state auditor’s office.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — State roots key to Edge Theory's Joe Stradinger
- ALAN TURNER — The ‘Internet of things’ is focus of Camgian's Gary Butler
- Cochran's attorneys argue for dismissal of McDaniel's lawsuit
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Federal charges dropped against Shumate after guilty plea
- Higher rates for Humana, lower for Magnolia ahead on health exchange