NAFTA numbers finally improve
Trade using surface transportation between the United States and its North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) partners Canada and Mexico was 10.5 percent higher in Dec. 2009 than in Dec. 2008, with a value of $58.5 billion, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS).
The increase was the first over the same month of the previous year since Sept. 2008, but the value of trade in December still remained 4 percent below the value in Dec. 2007.
BTS reported that the value of U.S. surface transportation trade with Canada and Mexico fell 0.8 percent in Dec. 2009 from Nov. 2009.
The value of U.S. surface transportation trade with Canada and Mexico in December was up 12.3 percent compared to Dec. 2004, and up 36.6 percent compared to Dec. 1999, a period of 10 years. Imports in December were up 37 percent compared to Dec. 1999, while exports were up 36.2 percent.
U.S.–Canada surface transportation trade totaled $35.4 billion in December, up 7.8 percent compared to Dec. 2008. The value of imports carried by truck was 2.3 percent lower in Dec. 2009 compared to Dec. 2008, while the value of exports carried by truck increased 11.2 percent during this period.
U.S.–Mexico surface transportation trade totaled $23.0 billion in December, up 15 percent compared to December 2008. The value of imports carried by truck was 15.5 percent higher in Dec. 2009 than Dec. 2008 while the value of exports carried by truck was 10.4 percent higher.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip