NAFTA numbers finally improve
Trade using surface transportation between the United States and its North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) partners Canada and Mexico was 10.5 percent higher in Dec. 2009 than in Dec. 2008, with a value of $58.5 billion, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS).
The increase was the first over the same month of the previous year since Sept. 2008, but the value of trade in December still remained 4 percent below the value in Dec. 2007.
BTS reported that the value of U.S. surface transportation trade with Canada and Mexico fell 0.8 percent in Dec. 2009 from Nov. 2009.
The value of U.S. surface transportation trade with Canada and Mexico in December was up 12.3 percent compared to Dec. 2004, and up 36.6 percent compared to Dec. 1999, a period of 10 years. Imports in December were up 37 percent compared to Dec. 1999, while exports were up 36.2 percent.
U.S.–Canada surface transportation trade totaled $35.4 billion in December, up 7.8 percent compared to Dec. 2008. The value of imports carried by truck was 2.3 percent lower in Dec. 2009 compared to Dec. 2008, while the value of exports carried by truck increased 11.2 percent during this period.
U.S.–Mexico surface transportation trade totaled $23.0 billion in December, up 15 percent compared to December 2008. The value of imports carried by truck was 15.5 percent higher in Dec. 2009 than Dec. 2008 while the value of exports carried by truck was 10.4 percent higher.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years