Cellular South offers service to aid Chileans
by Wally Northway
Published: March 5,2010
RIDGELAND — Cellular South is making it easy for customers to help earthquake-ravaged victims in Chile by sending a text message from their mobile device to support the Red Cross International Relief Fund efforts.
To donate $10 to the Red Cross relief efforts, customers can type the word “CHILE” and send it to “90999″ via text message from their mobile devices. A confirmation text response will be sent to each customer to confirm the donation. Standard text messaging rates may apply for some customers.
All of the funds donated will be passed directly to the Red Cross to provide shelter, food, counseling and other assistance to the thousands of Chile earthquake victims. The program is powered by Mobile Accord and the MGive Foundation in coordination with the U.S. State Department as part of its ongoing disaster response support in Chile.
Other mobile giving options for customers who wish to donate to the earthquake relief efforts include:
• To make a $10 donation through Habitat for Humanity, text the word “CHILE” to “25383.”
• To make a $10 donation through World Vision, text the word “CHILE” to “20222.”
• To make a $10 donation through The Salvation Army, text the word “CHILE” to “52000.”
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the earthquake victims and their families as they deal with the immediate aftermath of this earthquake and the continuing aftershocks,” said Kevin Hankins, COO of Cellular South. “We thank all of our customers who are stepping up to help the Red Cross and other relief agencies at this time. The needs are tremendous in Chile right now and raising these critical relief funds $10 at a time is a true testament to the American spirit.”
All donations will appear as a line item on the customer’s bill. Cellular South AdvancePay customers are not eligible to participate at this time.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects