Road builders issue stimulus report
Published: March 9,2010
There are currently 68 American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA)-financed highway construction projects underway or completed in Mississippi involving $281.5 million in funds, according to data released by Washington, D.C.-based American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA).
The projects underway or completed have supported or are supporting 7,831 jobs in Mississippi that would otherwise not exist, says ARTBA vice president of economics and research Dr. Bill Buechner.
ARRA provided $356.3 million to Mississippi for highway, bridge and related improvements. This one-time bonus added more than 91 percent to Mississippi’s regular federal highway funds under the current federal surface transportation law—Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU)—bringing the state’s total federal highway funding in 2009 to a record $745.5 million.
According to Buechner, a Harvard-trained economist, another 95 projects have been identified and are slated to be under construction shortly.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits