Road builders issue stimulus report
Published: March 9,2010
There are currently 68 American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA)-financed highway construction projects underway or completed in Mississippi involving $281.5 million in funds, according to data released by Washington, D.C.-based American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA).
The projects underway or completed have supported or are supporting 7,831 jobs in Mississippi that would otherwise not exist, says ARTBA vice president of economics and research Dr. Bill Buechner.
ARRA provided $356.3 million to Mississippi for highway, bridge and related improvements. This one-time bonus added more than 91 percent to Mississippi’s regular federal highway funds under the current federal surface transportation law—Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU)—bringing the state’s total federal highway funding in 2009 to a record $745.5 million.
According to Buechner, a Harvard-trained economist, another 95 projects have been identified and are slated to be under construction shortly.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal