Road builders issue stimulus report
Published: March 9,2010
There are currently 68 American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA)-financed highway construction projects underway or completed in Mississippi involving $281.5 million in funds, according to data released by Washington, D.C.-based American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA).
The projects underway or completed have supported or are supporting 7,831 jobs in Mississippi that would otherwise not exist, says ARTBA vice president of economics and research Dr. Bill Buechner.
ARRA provided $356.3 million to Mississippi for highway, bridge and related improvements. This one-time bonus added more than 91 percent to Mississippi’s regular federal highway funds under the current federal surface transportation law—Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU)—bringing the state’s total federal highway funding in 2009 to a record $745.5 million.
According to Buechner, a Harvard-trained economist, another 95 projects have been identified and are slated to be under construction shortly.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities