Road builders issue stimulus report
Published: March 9,2010
There are currently 68 American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA)-financed highway construction projects underway or completed in Mississippi involving $281.5 million in funds, according to data released by Washington, D.C.-based American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA).
The projects underway or completed have supported or are supporting 7,831 jobs in Mississippi that would otherwise not exist, says ARTBA vice president of economics and research Dr. Bill Buechner.
ARRA provided $356.3 million to Mississippi for highway, bridge and related improvements. This one-time bonus added more than 91 percent to Mississippi’s regular federal highway funds under the current federal surface transportation law—Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU)—bringing the state’s total federal highway funding in 2009 to a record $745.5 million.
According to Buechner, a Harvard-trained economist, another 95 projects have been identified and are slated to be under construction shortly.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Legislators begin work on FY2016 state budget
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter