U.S. job openings rise at fast rate
There were 2.7 million job openings on the last business day of Jan. 2010, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported yesterday. The job openings rate rose over the month to 2.1 percent, the highest the rate has been since Feb. 2009.
The hires rate (3.1 percent) and the separations rate (3.2 percent) were unchanged in January. The annual totals for hires and quits decreased in 2009 while the annual total for layoffs and discharges increased.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement
- BILL CRAWFORD — More jobs, but fewer with jobs, huh?
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Tommy Robertson indicted on five counts of embezzlement
- Despite obstacles, craft beer industry growing
- Jackson’s Landmark Center slated for mixed-use conversion
- Finding your flexible space — Regus banks on high demand for customizable work spaces
- Miss. children's hospital plans $150 million expansion
- State's ventures into alt-fuel markets net few jobs