Board approves school merger talks
Published: March 12,2010
POPLARVILLE — The Poplarville School Board has approved the opening of discussions with Pearl River County about merging the districts’ alternative schools.
The Picayune Item reports Poplarville superintendent Carl Merritt was given permission this week to being talks with county schools leader Dennis E. Penton.
The county school district has a fully accredited, daytime alternative school. Poplarville has a night alternative school, which, Merritt says the state is planning to phase out.
Merritt told the school board while the merger looks like it would be beneficial to the Poplarville school system, there are a lot of fine points to be worked out before a merger could take place.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi