Board approves school merger talks
by Associated Press
Published: March 12,2010
POPLARVILLE — The Poplarville School Board has approved the opening of discussions with Pearl River County about merging the districts’ alternative schools.
The Picayune Item reports Poplarville superintendent Carl Merritt was given permission this week to being talks with county schools leader Dennis E. Penton.
The county school district has a fully accredited, daytime alternative school. Poplarville has a night alternative school, which, Merritt says the state is planning to phase out.
Merritt told the school board while the merger looks like it would be beneficial to the Poplarville school system, there are a lot of fine points to be worked out before a merger could take place.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JACKSON JILTED —Southwest Airlines pulling up stakes and leaving Mississippi
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- M&F branches to close as Renasant wraps up merger
- Gaming Commission gives nod to Coast city's first casino
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- Aldermen review adult business ordinance, call public hearing
- New boutique hotel to replace Oxford’s Downtown Inn