Board approves school merger talks
Published: March 12,2010
POPLARVILLE — The Poplarville School Board has approved the opening of discussions with Pearl River County about merging the districts’ alternative schools.
The Picayune Item reports Poplarville superintendent Carl Merritt was given permission this week to being talks with county schools leader Dennis E. Penton.
The county school district has a fully accredited, daytime alternative school. Poplarville has a night alternative school, which, Merritt says the state is planning to phase out.
Merritt told the school board while the merger looks like it would be beneficial to the Poplarville school system, there are a lot of fine points to be worked out before a merger could take place.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Two BancorpSouth mergers delayed by federal inquiries
- Severstal selling plants, including Severstal Columbus
- Wasted away — Margaritaville in Biloxi to close by Sept. 19
- Moon River Foods creating 100 jobs in Mississippi Delta
- WILLOUGHBY: Broadband Voice founder Gary Watts isn’t afraid to take chances
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation
- Police find Attorney General Hood's stolen handgun
- Pickwick Pines settles lawsuit; pays $260K
- MSU sets new annual fundraising record of $106M-plus