Transportation index continues rise
The Freight Transportation Services Index (TSI) rose 0.4 percent in January from its Dec. 2009 level, rising after the index was unchanged in December, the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) reported.
BTS, a part of the Research and Innovative Technology Administration, reported that the Freight TSI index has risen 3.3 percent over the last eight months, starting in June. It has increased in six of the last eight months. The index started 2010 with an increase in January, after having declined 4.1 percent during 2009 and 12.4 percent in two years.
The January Freight TSI of 96.6 is a 3.3 percent increase from the recent low of 93.5 reached in May. In May, the index was at its lowest level since June 1997. The Freight TSI is down 14.4 percent from its historic peak of 112.9 reached in May 2006.
The January Freight TSI of 96.6 is the lowest for January since Jan. 1997 when it was 89.9. With a 1.3 percent decline from Jan. 2009 to Jan. 2010 following a 12.9 percent decline from Jan. 2008 to Jan. 2009, the index has declined 14 percent in two years.
The freight index is down 14.3 percent in the five years from Jan. 2005. The index is down 7.5 percent in the 10 years from Jan. 2000.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip