Hancock Fabrics makes money
Published: March 14,2010
BALDWYN — Craft and fabric retailer Hancock Fabrics reports net income of $1.8 million for fiscal 2009 — its first annual profit in five years.
The company had lost $114 million over the previous four years, including $12.4 million in fiscal 2008. It came out of Chapter 11 protection from its creditors in Aug. 2008.
In a news release last week, Hancock reported net sales of $274.1 million in 2009, down from $276.4 million a year earlier. Same-store sales — considered by analysts a key measure of a retailer’s health — were up 0.2 percent compared to a 2.1 percent growth in the prior-year period.
As of Jan. 30, Hancock had 3,900 employees in 266 stores in 37 states and 300 at its headquarters in Baldwyn.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- WILLOUGHBY: Bernie Reed cites hard work as key to success of Reed’s Metals
- Half century of memories — Christmas on Deer Creek to celebrate 50th anniversary
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Former MDEQ Executive Director Trudy Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Federal appeals court: State's abortion law is unconstitutional
- Can Metrocenter rise from the ashes? Again
- Gulf oil rig explosion kills one worker, injures three
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years