Hancock Fabrics makes money
by Associated Press
Published: March 14,2010
BALDWYN — Craft and fabric retailer Hancock Fabrics reports net income of $1.8 million for fiscal 2009 — its first annual profit in five years.
The company had lost $114 million over the previous four years, including $12.4 million in fiscal 2008. It came out of Chapter 11 protection from its creditors in Aug. 2008.
In a news release last week, Hancock reported net sales of $274.1 million in 2009, down from $276.4 million a year earlier. Same-store sales — considered by analysts a key measure of a retailer’s health — were up 0.2 percent compared to a 2.1 percent growth in the prior-year period.
As of Jan. 30, Hancock had 3,900 employees in 266 stores in 37 states and 300 at its headquarters in Baldwyn.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Doctor's murder-for-hire case postponed, mental evaluation pending
- ACLU could sue over state's new school prayer law
- District at Eastover construction to start later this year
- Bill exempting small farms from fuel storage regs passes Senate
- Hatchery releases largemouth bass fingerlings in three rivers
- John Fletcher joins Jones Walker