Hancock Fabrics makes money
Published: March 14,2010
BALDWYN — Craft and fabric retailer Hancock Fabrics reports net income of $1.8 million for fiscal 2009 — its first annual profit in five years.
The company had lost $114 million over the previous four years, including $12.4 million in fiscal 2008. It came out of Chapter 11 protection from its creditors in Aug. 2008.
In a news release last week, Hancock reported net sales of $274.1 million in 2009, down from $276.4 million a year earlier. Same-store sales — considered by analysts a key measure of a retailer’s health — were up 0.2 percent compared to a 2.1 percent growth in the prior-year period.
As of Jan. 30, Hancock had 3,900 employees in 266 stores in 37 states and 300 at its headquarters in Baldwyn.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete
- Cochran calls on EPA for review of Yazoo Backwater Project
- State Sen. Gandy hospitalized in South America
- Number of requests for general election absentee ballots roughly same as primary
- Camgian launches Internet of Things product called Egburt
- After string of losses, O'Hara sees himself as Senate 'protest vote'
- Former Mississippi First Lady Carroll Waller dies at 87