Keeping Our Eye On: Farris Watson
by Don Smith
Published: March 14,2010
Education: University of Mississippi, Itawamba Community College
Current Position: Fraternal coordinator of South Mississippi Woodmen of the World
Farris Watson says she was made for her job. Watson grew up with a fondness for handyman work, outdoor activities and a hobby of incessant reading; qualities she is able to pair with her love of media and event organization to make her position at South Mississippi Woodmen of the World a fit as “natural as a tree in a forest.”
With so many aspects to her work, Watson says her job changes drastically from day to day. “On Monday I might be in the office writing my monthly newsletter. On Tuesday I could be planning an outreach event for a lodge in Ocean Springs and Wednesday I might be at our youth camp, chainsaw in hand, clearing land. Thursday I might be out interviewing potential summer camp staff and Friday be at a state conference conducting a discussion on ways to increase membership and participation in our lodges across South Mississippi.” In addition to these various facets of her job, each year Watson also has opportunities to travel to other states for Habitat for Humanity projects, camp renovation projects as well as attending national conventions for Woodmen or the American Camp Association.
Woodmen of the World is a nonprofit, fraternal life insurance company. Known as the “Family Fraternity,” Woodmen promotes itself in the community through service projects carried out by its members. It also has more than 35 camp and youth programs around the country, including one in Hattiesburg.
Mississippi’s best kept secret: Graceland Too in Holly Springs
Must-have Mississippi food: Leatha’s BBQ in Hattiesburg
Favorite hangout: The Courthouse
Favorite Television Show: “Lost”
Last Book Read: “Last Song” by Nicholas Sparks
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'