Keeping Our Eye On: Farris Watson
by Don Smith
Published: March 14,2010
Education: University of Mississippi, Itawamba Community College
Current Position: Fraternal coordinator of South Mississippi Woodmen of the World
Farris Watson says she was made for her job. Watson grew up with a fondness for handyman work, outdoor activities and a hobby of incessant reading; qualities she is able to pair with her love of media and event organization to make her position at South Mississippi Woodmen of the World a fit as “natural as a tree in a forest.”
With so many aspects to her work, Watson says her job changes drastically from day to day. “On Monday I might be in the office writing my monthly newsletter. On Tuesday I could be planning an outreach event for a lodge in Ocean Springs and Wednesday I might be at our youth camp, chainsaw in hand, clearing land. Thursday I might be out interviewing potential summer camp staff and Friday be at a state conference conducting a discussion on ways to increase membership and participation in our lodges across South Mississippi.” In addition to these various facets of her job, each year Watson also has opportunities to travel to other states for Habitat for Humanity projects, camp renovation projects as well as attending national conventions for Woodmen or the American Camp Association.
Woodmen of the World is a nonprofit, fraternal life insurance company. Known as the “Family Fraternity,” Woodmen promotes itself in the community through service projects carried out by its members. It also has more than 35 camp and youth programs around the country, including one in Hattiesburg.
Mississippi’s best kept secret: Graceland Too in Holly Springs
Must-have Mississippi food: Leatha’s BBQ in Hattiesburg
Favorite hangout: The Courthouse
Favorite Television Show: “Lost”
Last Book Read: “Last Song” by Nicholas Sparks
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Baker Donelson's David A. Rueff Jr. co-authors guide
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects