Toyota’s European sales plummet
Published: March 16,2010
BRUSSELS — Toyota’s sales in Europe slipped 20 percent in February from a year ago after the company launched a massive recall to fix faulty gas pedals, according to EU car makers’ sales figures released today.
The company sold 42,234 cars in the 27-nation bloc in February, down from 53,233 the same month a year ago.
It launched a worldwide recall in early February that now covers some 8 million cars and trucks worldwide to repair problems with gas pedals and floor mats that can cause the accelerator to become stuck in the depressed position.
Toyota’s poor sales figures came in a good month for the overall European Union car market, with sales up 3 percent over the year.
A nearly 30 percent drop in sales in the region’s biggest car buying market, Germany, was compensated by stronger results from other major markets such as France, Italy, Spain and Britain. French sales were up 18 percent, Italy 20 percent, Spain 47 percent and Britain 26 percent.
Volkswagen AG, Europe’s best selling automaker, saw sales decline 2.2 percent due to poor results in its home market in Germany. France’s Peugeot Citroen PSA was up 18 percent and Renault up nearly 30 percent.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years