Sprout grower targeted by FDA
GRETNA, La. — The Department of Justice, in an action initiated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, is seeking a permanent injunction against A Chau Sprouting Co., a sprout grower in Gretna, La., company owner and manager Quang “Mike” Trinh, and Hue Nguyen, the company production manager.
The complaint, filed March 16 in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, charges the defendants with violating the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act by preparing, packing and holding sprouts under insanitary conditions, where they may have become contaminated with filth.
“The agency has repeatedly warned the company over several years that corrective actions need to be taken in this facility,” said Michael Chappell, acting associate commissioner for regulatory affairs at the FDA. “While no illnesses have been reported to date, this action is necessary to ensure that it remains that way.”
The ready-to-eat sprouts are distributed to wholesale suppliers, who in turn distribute them to customers located in Gulf Coast states, including Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida and Texas.
Five FDA inspections over the past nine years, including an inspection conducted between Aug. 2009 and Sept. 2009, revealed that the defendants failed to implement basic food sanitation principles and practices for their sprout growing operation, according to the complaint.
The complaint alleges violations that include equipment and facilities that were unclean or unable to be sufficiently cleaned, insanitary employee practices and a poorly maintained facility.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute