Attorneys preparing for Toyota lawsuits
Published: March 24,2010
SAN DIEGO — More than 150 attorneys are meeting in San Diego to sharpen their legal tools on the eve of a major federal court hearing on whether dozens of Toyota acceleration cases will be consolidated before a single judge.
The main topic at Wednesday’s conference was a hearing scheduled before a panel of federal judges on Thursday. The judges will decide whether to combine more than 100 Toyota lawsuits.
So far 19 jurisdictions have been suggested. They include California, Florida, Kentucky and even Puerto Rico. The panel is not required to pick from that list.
Toyota faces an avalanche of lawsuits that potentially could cost the company billions of dollars following its recall of more than 8 million vehicles worldwide over sudden unexpected acceleration.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Research on dogs could lead to better understanding of human cancer
- Keesler Medical Center set to begin $74M renovation project
- ONE MORE YEAR: Leaders want year more of study on comprehensive road, bridge upkeep
- Community college dedicating new welding technology center