Chamber opposes agencies’ relocation
JACKSON — The board of directors of the Jackson Chamber of Commerce has adopted a resolution opposing the relocation of two state agencies outside of Jackson and Hinds County.
The resolution states: “WHEREAS, the 2010 Mississippi Legislature has under consideration a bill that would issue bonds to pay for the construction of a new central headquarters building to house the Mississippi Department of Public Safety and a new building to house the Mississippi Department of Revenue, both to be located in Rankin County;
“WHEREAS, these two state agencies have been located in Jackson and Hinds County;
“WHEREAS, there are numerous available buildings and properties located in the City of Jackson to be leased or acquired by agencies of the State of Mississippi, many of which could be leased at a competitive rate and in an amount lower than the cost of new construction, with said properties remaining on the Hinds County tax roll;
“WHEREAS, the City of Jackson, as the seat of government for the State of Mississippi, is a more convenient location for the State’s departments and agencies.
“NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the board of directors of the Jackson Chamber of Commerce hereby opposes any measures to relocate the offices of agencies or departments of the State of the Mississippi from the City of Jackson and Hinds County, and particularly opposes the relocation of the Mississippi Department of Public Safety and the Mississippi Department of Revenue.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit
- Bryant issues executive order to establish Delta water task force