Chamber opposes agencies’ relocation
JACKSON — The board of directors of the Jackson Chamber of Commerce has adopted a resolution opposing the relocation of two state agencies outside of Jackson and Hinds County.
The resolution states: “WHEREAS, the 2010 Mississippi Legislature has under consideration a bill that would issue bonds to pay for the construction of a new central headquarters building to house the Mississippi Department of Public Safety and a new building to house the Mississippi Department of Revenue, both to be located in Rankin County;
“WHEREAS, these two state agencies have been located in Jackson and Hinds County;
“WHEREAS, there are numerous available buildings and properties located in the City of Jackson to be leased or acquired by agencies of the State of Mississippi, many of which could be leased at a competitive rate and in an amount lower than the cost of new construction, with said properties remaining on the Hinds County tax roll;
“WHEREAS, the City of Jackson, as the seat of government for the State of Mississippi, is a more convenient location for the State’s departments and agencies.
“NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the board of directors of the Jackson Chamber of Commerce hereby opposes any measures to relocate the offices of agencies or departments of the State of the Mississippi from the City of Jackson and Hinds County, and particularly opposes the relocation of the Mississippi Department of Public Safety and the Mississippi Department of Revenue.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics