Toyota shuttering plants in Europe
by Associated Press
Published: March 26,2010
TOKYO — Toyota said Friday it is stopping production at its factories in France and Britain for a total of nine days amid falling sales that the company partly attributed to its recent recall woes.
The world’s No. 1 automaker will suspend output at it plant in France for four days starting April 6, said spokeswoman Ririko Takeuchi. Toyota will also stop production at its two factories in Britain for five working days sometime in May.
“In France, we’re reviewing production because of the impact of recall problems,” Takeuchi said. The closures in Britain were part of previous plans, she said, but also due to sluggish car sales in Europe.
In early June, Toyota also plans to halt one of its two assembly lines at its Burnaston plant in Britain for another five working days, Takeuchi said.
The stoppages come after Toyota recalled 8.5 million vehicles globally over braking problems in its Prius hybrid, sticky gas pedals and pedals that can get stuck under floor mats.
Toyota’s sales in the 27-nation European Union sank 20 percent in February from a year earlier — even though overall EU car sales rose 3 percent.
In the U.S., the automaker’s sales fell 9 percent in February, prompting the company to launch a slew of incentives to lure back buyers.
To beef up quality controls following the spate of safety problems, Toyota has formed a quality review committee that will meet regularly with President Akio Toyoda. The first meeting will take place Tuesday in Japan.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Toyota shuttering plants in Europe”
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability