State ranks eighth in U-Haul report
U-Haul International Inc. has released the results of the annual U-Haul National Migration Trend Report, reflecting the nation’s top growth states for families who moved during 2009. The report, titled “2009 Top 10 U.S. Growth States,” indicates that for states with more than 20,000 families moving, Kentucky had the highest percentage of growth, with 5.76 percent more families moving into the state than out.
For states with 5,000 – 20,000 families moving, Vermont had the highest percentage, with a growth rate of 16.67 percent in 2009, moving Maine to second place after two years of ranking first.
Mississippi ranked eighth in the 5,000-20,000 category, up 4.4 percent. That was the highest ranking of any Southeastern state in this category.
“The average American moves 11 times in a lifetime,” explained U-Haul President of Phoenix Operations John “J.T.” Taylor. “Our customers rely on us to provide affordable services, and we are proud to be able to offer families who need moving services the increased convenience of our locations, which makes for a shorter distance to travel when moving. This not only makes their move easier but also has the positive effect of reducing the amount of carbon emissions released into the atmosphere.”
The report, reflective of growth patterns of the United States during 2009, was compiled based on nationwide trends in states with more than 5,000 families moving in or out of the area. Growth was then determined by calculating the percentage of inbound moves vs. outbound moves for each state.
The 2009 Top 10 U.S. Growth States Report was compiled from more than 1 million U-Haul one-way truck transactions occurring during a recent 12-month period.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Deal for daily Jackson-Orlando flight in works with Allegiant
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts