County earns StormReady designation
COLUMBIA — Marion County is the latest Mississippi community to receive the StormReady designation from the National Weather Service. A ceremony honoring the community for achieving StormReady status will be held at 10:30 a.m. today at the Marion County Board of Supervisors in Columbia.=
This makes 29 StormReady designations in Mississippi, which include 14 cities or towns, 13 counties and two state universities.
“Becoming StormReady is the result of a lot of hard work,” said Marion County emergency management director Charlie Conerly. “We started with our StormReady designation for Columbia but we are excited that we’ve been able to expand it to cover all the residents of the county.”
The City of Columbia was the fourth community in the state to receive the StormReady designation back in Jan. 2002.
StormReady is a nationwide program of the weather service that helps communities protect their citizens during severe weather and encourages communities to take a proactive approach to improving local hazardous weather operations.
“This designation of StormReady means residents in Marion County are better prepared for severe weather than ever before,” said MEMA Director Mike Womack. “It is our hope is that every Mississippi community will follow the example set by Marion County.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability