County earns StormReady designation
COLUMBIA — Marion County is the latest Mississippi community to receive the StormReady designation from the National Weather Service. A ceremony honoring the community for achieving StormReady status will be held at 10:30 a.m. today at the Marion County Board of Supervisors in Columbia.=
This makes 29 StormReady designations in Mississippi, which include 14 cities or towns, 13 counties and two state universities.
“Becoming StormReady is the result of a lot of hard work,” said Marion County emergency management director Charlie Conerly. “We started with our StormReady designation for Columbia but we are excited that we’ve been able to expand it to cover all the residents of the county.”
The City of Columbia was the fourth community in the state to receive the StormReady designation back in Jan. 2002.
StormReady is a nationwide program of the weather service that helps communities protect their citizens during severe weather and encourages communities to take a proactive approach to improving local hazardous weather operations.
“This designation of StormReady means residents in Marion County are better prepared for severe weather than ever before,” said MEMA Director Mike Womack. “It is our hope is that every Mississippi community will follow the example set by Marion County.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on
- Firm adds Brian T. Alexander
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast