MSU to offer criminology degree
STARKVILLE — Beginning with summer-term classes in June, Mississippi State University’s (MSU’s) College of Arts and Sciences will offer a bachelor’s degree program in criminology.
As a major within the university’s sociology department, the academic curriculum will emphasize the study of types; patterns and trends in criminal behavior; and the social causes of and responses to crime. Among other areas, it also will provide training in crime data analysis and critical evaluation of crime theory and policy.
The new major is distinct from criminal justice-degree programs available at other Mississippi schools, said department head Greg Dunaway. Entry to the program has no special requirements, other than basic admission criteria of MSU and the college, he added.
“We have developed a program that is not only unique in name, but also does not duplicate existing criminal justice programs at other state institutions of higher learning,” Dunaway said.
The department long has offered an undergraduate degree in sociology that provides certification in criminal justice and corrections.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
2 Responses to “MSU to offer criminology degree”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option