Healthcare backlash confusing to reader
I don’t understand why there has been such a rabid protest against requiring people to pay for health insurance. Haley Barbour is going to sue someone, not sure how that works, under the premise that requiring people to pay for health insurance is unconstitutional. Would it not be unconstitutional that someone can be fined for not having automobile insurance? And that isn’t even if you happen to run into another person’s car and can’t pay for the repair. You can be pulled over for not using your turn signal and if you can’t show proof of insurance be prepared to pay a hefty fine. However, if you are injured in an accident the hospital emergency room has to treat you no questions asked even when the cost for that care can run into hundreds of thousands of dollars. No one gave the mandatory auto insurance legislation a second look. Better yet they applauded the legislation that serves to make people accountable and responsible for potential negative affects they present to others in society. Never once heard anyone call the mandatory auto insurance legislation an act of communism, yet legislation attempting to fix uninsured healthcare patients threatens to divide the country on a level comparable to the civil war. I just don’t understand how this issue can be so sinister that even a pastor in a large church feels the need to call on God for help in defeating it. It all seems totally bizarre to me. It seems to me that people were just looking for an issue to justify a call of arms against those who disagree. Boy, did they find their vehicle for hatred!
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Venture Tech merges with ISC, acquires SAT
- PSC's Brandon Presley calls in-state nuclear waste dump a 'harebrained scheme'
- Georgia-Pacific completes acquisition of SPG Holdings
- Community Bank names new officers
- Retired judge to hear McDaniel's challenge of primary loss to Cochran
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- Southern Bancorp to acquire Bank of Bolivar County