Barbour to reveal budget recommendations
JACKSON — Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour will hold a news conference today to reveal his new recommendations for the state budget.
His announcement comes six days before legislators return to Jackson to finish writing a $5.5-billion state spending plan for the fiscal year that begins July 1.
Barbour released his initial budget in November, but lawmakers have rejected some of his ideas, including his proposal to merge the eight public universities into five.
Barbour spokesman Dan Turner says the Republican governor still wants lawmakers to be careful with the state’s financial reserves and to give agency directors more flexibility in their individual budgets.
It’s not clear how long it will take lawmakers to finish their budget talks.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Secretary of State's Office transitioning to new location