Barbour to reveal budget recommendations
JACKSON — Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour will hold a news conference today to reveal his new recommendations for the state budget.
His announcement comes six days before legislators return to Jackson to finish writing a $5.5-billion state spending plan for the fiscal year that begins July 1.
Barbour released his initial budget in November, but lawmakers have rejected some of his ideas, including his proposal to merge the eight public universities into five.
Barbour spokesman Dan Turner says the Republican governor still wants lawmakers to be careful with the state’s financial reserves and to give agency directors more flexibility in their individual budgets.
It’s not clear how long it will take lawmakers to finish their budget talks.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Gulf oil and gas leases to go up for sale in March
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Airport gets grant to support seasonal service from Sun Country
- State officials identify first flu case this season
- STAYING POSITIVE — Career attitude help Brynn Joachim to fight disease at 41