Barbour to reveal budget recommendations
JACKSON — Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour will hold a news conference today to reveal his new recommendations for the state budget.
His announcement comes six days before legislators return to Jackson to finish writing a $5.5-billion state spending plan for the fiscal year that begins July 1.
Barbour released his initial budget in November, but lawmakers have rejected some of his ideas, including his proposal to merge the eight public universities into five.
Barbour spokesman Dan Turner says the Republican governor still wants lawmakers to be careful with the state’s financial reserves and to give agency directors more flexibility in their individual budgets.
It’s not clear how long it will take lawmakers to finish their budget talks.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge intends to rule on McDaniel's challenge before general election
- Oxford’s FNC getting new headquarters
- (UPDATE) I-20 partially closed as vehicle carrying hazardous materials burns
- Coast family wins $644K in tideland lawsuit against state
- QUIRKY? NO, JERKY — Whatever your craving, Beef Jerky Outlets likely has the flavor among 200+ choices
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Corps official: River needs larger ports, locks and dams
- C Spire, UM installing Wi-Fi network at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium
- State’s MAGIC accounting system works, albeit with glitches