Barbour to reveal budget recommendations
JACKSON — Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour will hold a news conference today to reveal his new recommendations for the state budget.
His announcement comes six days before legislators return to Jackson to finish writing a $5.5-billion state spending plan for the fiscal year that begins July 1.
Barbour released his initial budget in November, but lawmakers have rejected some of his ideas, including his proposal to merge the eight public universities into five.
Barbour spokesman Dan Turner says the Republican governor still wants lawmakers to be careful with the state’s financial reserves and to give agency directors more flexibility in their individual budgets.
It’s not clear how long it will take lawmakers to finish their budget talks.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- Ikea confirms plan for Memphis store
- McCrory joins Epps in asking for trial delay
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Former Lane Furniture plant sold for $1.45 million
- OUR VIEW: JRA evolving toward transparency? Maybe, maybe not
- Jon-Paul Croom made CEO