Board recommends school district takeover
by Associated Press
Published: April 16,2010
INDIANOLA — An education board has recommended state officials take over the Sunflower County School District.
The action was recommended April 9 by the Mississippi Commission on School Accreditation. Its recommendation goes to the state Board of Education.
If the Board of Education agrees, officials would ask the governor to declare an emergency, which would lead to the takeover.
The Clarion-Ledger reports that officials have cited the school district with safety problems, noncompliance with federal regulations and hiring and budget questions.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi