Board recommends school district takeover
INDIANOLA — An education board has recommended state officials take over the Sunflower County School District.
The action was recommended April 9 by the Mississippi Commission on School Accreditation. Its recommendation goes to the state Board of Education.
If the Board of Education agrees, officials would ask the governor to declare an emergency, which would lead to the takeover.
The Clarion-Ledger reports that officials have cited the school district with safety problems, noncompliance with federal regulations and hiring and budget questions.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- JRA plans image makeover, hires crisis manager