Board recommends school district takeover
by Associated Press
Published: April 16,2010
INDIANOLA — An education board has recommended state officials take over the Sunflower County School District.
The action was recommended April 9 by the Mississippi Commission on School Accreditation. Its recommendation goes to the state Board of Education.
If the Board of Education agrees, officials would ask the governor to declare an emergency, which would lead to the takeover.
The Clarion-Ledger reports that officials have cited the school district with safety problems, noncompliance with federal regulations and hiring and budget questions.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- Texas company buys Tuscaloosa Marine Shale leases