MDES reauthorization bill released
JACKSON — A Mississippi House Democrat says he’s releasing his hold on a bill that would reauthorize the state Department of Employment Security.
Labor Committee Chairman Rufus Straughter of Belzoni says he has received assurance that the Senate Finance Committee will vote on a related bill he is pushing.
Straughter wants the state to accept some stimulus money for unemployment benefits that Republican Gov. Haley Barbour has rejected.
The bill Straughter is pushing would restructure a formula for calculating a person’s unemployment payments. A separate bill would keep the employment agency open beyond June 30, the end of this fiscal year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Court rules board can discipline West Virginia radiologist
- Deer processors need to use caution to insure safe, tasty venison
- Winchester lands $50M ammunition contract from Homeland Security
- Legislators begin work on FY2016 state budget
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter