MDES reauthorization bill released
JACKSON — A Mississippi House Democrat says he’s releasing his hold on a bill that would reauthorize the state Department of Employment Security.
Labor Committee Chairman Rufus Straughter of Belzoni says he has received assurance that the Senate Finance Committee will vote on a related bill he is pushing.
Straughter wants the state to accept some stimulus money for unemployment benefits that Republican Gov. Haley Barbour has rejected.
The bill Straughter is pushing would restructure a formula for calculating a person’s unemployment payments. A separate bill would keep the employment agency open beyond June 30, the end of this fiscal year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money
- More school districts join MAEP lawsuit brought by Musgrove