MDES reauthorization bill released
JACKSON — A Mississippi House Democrat says he’s releasing his hold on a bill that would reauthorize the state Department of Employment Security.
Labor Committee Chairman Rufus Straughter of Belzoni says he has received assurance that the Senate Finance Committee will vote on a related bill he is pushing.
Straughter wants the state to accept some stimulus money for unemployment benefits that Republican Gov. Haley Barbour has rejected.
The bill Straughter is pushing would restructure a formula for calculating a person’s unemployment payments. A separate bill would keep the employment agency open beyond June 30, the end of this fiscal year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Tyler Raborn finds success and fulfillment with Raborn Media
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge