MDES reauthorization bill released
JACKSON — A Mississippi House Democrat says he’s releasing his hold on a bill that would reauthorize the state Department of Employment Security.
Labor Committee Chairman Rufus Straughter of Belzoni says he has received assurance that the Senate Finance Committee will vote on a related bill he is pushing.
Straughter wants the state to accept some stimulus money for unemployment benefits that Republican Gov. Haley Barbour has rejected.
The bill Straughter is pushing would restructure a formula for calculating a person’s unemployment payments. A separate bill would keep the employment agency open beyond June 30, the end of this fiscal year.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Law to bolster utilities’ economic development efforts gets mixed reactions
- Lawmakers: Time to raze IHL
- Developers withdraw zoning application for former country club
- DAVID WILLIAMS: Smart traffic signals pave way for better driving in connected world
- Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame planning gets underway
- Office occupancy edged up throughout Metro Jackson