Another contract awarded for ‘S-Curve’ work
LAUREL — The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT’) is continuing the final phase of work on the $11.6-million Interstate 59 reconstruction project in Jones County, in the construction zone formerly known as the “S-Curve.”
The contract was awarded to Tanner Construction involving two miles of roadway on Interstate 59 from Fourth Avenue to Chantilly Street. Substructure work associated with the bridges located at Fourth Avenue, Masonite Road, South Walters Avenue has been completed and crews have started the substructure work on Cook Avenue.
Along with widening the roadway and bridges, crews will be relocating existing lighting and building retaining walls. According to MDOT Project Engineer Brent Quick, crews have completed three of the twelve required retaining walls.
“These retaining walls will allow us to construct slopes, which meet the current design standards, while allowing us to stay within the existing right of way,” said Quick. “The use of retaining walls and staying within the current right of way within Laurel city limits expedited the process of awarding the contract and eliminated the costs of having to purchase additional right of way in an urban area.”
The I-59 project is scheduled for completion fall of 2010.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino