ChromaDex launches UM-licensed product
OXFORD — ChromaDex Corporation, a California-based natural products chemistry company that provides ingredients to the dietary supplement, food, beverage and cosmetic markets, has launched pTeroPure pterostilbene.
This new product introduction is based on the grant of an exclusive worldwide license to all patent rights of pterostilbene from the University of Mississippi (UM) and the Agricultural Research Service, which is the principle intramural scientific agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The term of the license is up to and including the expiration of various pterostilbene patents held by the licensors.
As a result of the licensing agreement, ChromaDex plans to immediately pursue clinical studies and commercialization of its new product.
Pterostilbene is chemically related to resveratrol, a compound that can be found in grapes, blueberries and other small fruits as well as the bark of some trees. Resveratrol is thought to be at least partly responsible for the health benefits attributed to drinking red wine, which include cardiovascular health and cancer prevention. In laboratory tests, pterostilbene it has shown promise for improving cardiovascular health, glucose levels, anti-ageing and cognitive function; and, possessing cancer-fighting properties. Various scientific publications have shown that pterostilbene has significantly higher activity compared to resveratrol.
“ChromaDex is just the kind of company we want to work with,” Dr. Walter Chambliss, director of technology management, UM, said. “They know the value of our research, and that’s the key ingredient in a partnership like this.
“UM and USDA researchers working at Ole Miss share a common desire to translate research into commercial products. We couldn’t be happier about our agreement with ChromaDex. It’s just further testament to the ability of our researchers to do work that attracts commercial interest.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- ‘No’ means being able to commit to ‘Yes’