ChromaDex launches UM-licensed product
OXFORD — ChromaDex Corporation, a California-based natural products chemistry company that provides ingredients to the dietary supplement, food, beverage and cosmetic markets, has launched pTeroPure pterostilbene.
This new product introduction is based on the grant of an exclusive worldwide license to all patent rights of pterostilbene from the University of Mississippi (UM) and the Agricultural Research Service, which is the principle intramural scientific agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The term of the license is up to and including the expiration of various pterostilbene patents held by the licensors.
As a result of the licensing agreement, ChromaDex plans to immediately pursue clinical studies and commercialization of its new product.
Pterostilbene is chemically related to resveratrol, a compound that can be found in grapes, blueberries and other small fruits as well as the bark of some trees. Resveratrol is thought to be at least partly responsible for the health benefits attributed to drinking red wine, which include cardiovascular health and cancer prevention. In laboratory tests, pterostilbene it has shown promise for improving cardiovascular health, glucose levels, anti-ageing and cognitive function; and, possessing cancer-fighting properties. Various scientific publications have shown that pterostilbene has significantly higher activity compared to resveratrol.
“ChromaDex is just the kind of company we want to work with,” Dr. Walter Chambliss, director of technology management, UM, said. “They know the value of our research, and that’s the key ingredient in a partnership like this.
“UM and USDA researchers working at Ole Miss share a common desire to translate research into commercial products. We couldn’t be happier about our agreement with ChromaDex. It’s just further testament to the ability of our researchers to do work that attracts commercial interest.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain