Power plant to shut down in Greenwood
by Associated Press
Published: May 5,2010
GREENWOOD — The city of Greenwood is shutting down the Wright Generating Station on July 1.
Greenwood Utilities officials say all the jobs at the plant will be eliminated. The Greenwood Commonwealth says the number of workers at the plant was not immediately known.
Workers were informed by letter on Friday.
The letter, from Bobby Bennett, senior vice president of generation, says the Wright Generating Station "will be placed in Cold-Stand-by mode" as of July 1 and all the positions there will be eliminated.
The Henderson Station plant will continue to provide power.
Greenwood Utilities is a publicly owned utility that provides electricity and water to Greenwood.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Gulf Coast's design studio teaches lessons on sustainability
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation