Site for DeSoto jail still unsettled
by Associated Press
Published: May 5,2010
HERNANDO — The site for a new jail in DeSoto County remains unsettled after officials apparently rejected a proposal to locate a facility on 40 acres at an industrial park.
The board of supervisors on Monday put off further consideration of the issue until they meet May 17.
The Commercial Appeal reports that the site at the Hernando Industrial Park got only two votes from the five-member board. The board then voted 3-2 to consider the issue again on May 17.
Supervisors heard from a jail-study committee and an architect hired to evaluate cost and locations.
Other sites proposed for the jail were 4.2 acres next to the existing lockup and 39.3 acres of county-owned land.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- South's oldest casino to reopen as Golden Nugget
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Doctor appeals Medicaid, Medicare fraud conviction
- At age 17, ‘the flagpole kid’ is already a business success story
- Appeals panel rules against town in race discrimination case
- Entrepreneurs want ordinance change to add micro-brewery