Site for DeSoto jail still unsettled
by Associated Press
Published: May 5,2010
HERNANDO — The site for a new jail in DeSoto County remains unsettled after officials apparently rejected a proposal to locate a facility on 40 acres at an industrial park.
The board of supervisors on Monday put off further consideration of the issue until they meet May 17.
The Commercial Appeal reports that the site at the Hernando Industrial Park got only two votes from the five-member board. The board then voted 3-2 to consider the issue again on May 17.
Supervisors heard from a jail-study committee and an architect hired to evaluate cost and locations.
Other sites proposed for the jail were 4.2 acres next to the existing lockup and 39.3 acres of county-owned land.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Man indicted, accused of bankruptcy fraud
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Grenada native Donna Tartt wins Pulitzer Prize for 'The Goldfinch'
- TODD SMITH — Taco Bell and McDonalds take breakfast war viral; how to write killer news releases and more
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Fight between county, insurer over courthouse fire continues
- Judge to rule on release of Kemper power plant data