Bounds jumps parties, Franks angry
JACKSON — A Mississippi House member has switched from Democrat to Republican.
The Clarion-Ledger reports that Rep. Scott Bounds announced his decision during a news conference today at Republican Party Headquarters in Jackson.
Bounds noted his “conservative philosophical and policy beliefs” as the reason for his change.
The announcement drew an angry response from Democratic Party chairman Jamie Franks. In a statement, Franks said, “The truth of the matter is that Scott has been a Democrat in name-only. He has voted with the majority of Republicans more times than most Republican members of the House have. In fact, no Democrat has voted fewer times with the Democratic majority on key issues than Scott.
“What Scott Bounds did today was not switch parties, he just finally started telling the truth about what party he supports. He’ll have to answer to voters in Neshoba County about lying to them for so long.”
With Bounds’ switch, there will be 50 Republicans in the House, and the chamber will have 72 Democrats.
Bounds is from Philadelphia and has been in the Legislature since 2004.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Bounds jumps parties, Franks angry”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- More than a dozen school districts sue state over funding
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- McDaniel delays decision on whether to appeal dismissal of lawsuit