Bounds jumps parties, Franks angry
JACKSON — A Mississippi House member has switched from Democrat to Republican.
The Clarion-Ledger reports that Rep. Scott Bounds announced his decision during a news conference today at Republican Party Headquarters in Jackson.
Bounds noted his “conservative philosophical and policy beliefs” as the reason for his change.
The announcement drew an angry response from Democratic Party chairman Jamie Franks. In a statement, Franks said, “The truth of the matter is that Scott has been a Democrat in name-only. He has voted with the majority of Republicans more times than most Republican members of the House have. In fact, no Democrat has voted fewer times with the Democratic majority on key issues than Scott.
“What Scott Bounds did today was not switch parties, he just finally started telling the truth about what party he supports. He’ll have to answer to voters in Neshoba County about lying to them for so long.”
With Bounds’ switch, there will be 50 Republicans in the House, and the chamber will have 72 Democrats.
Bounds is from Philadelphia and has been in the Legislature since 2004.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Bounds jumps parties, Franks angry”
Top Posts & Pages
- JACKSON JILTED —Southwest Airlines pulling up stakes and leaving Mississippi
- Eye clinic operator faces Medicaid fraud charges
- Mega-load move could cause traffic issues
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- M&F branches to close as Renasant wraps up merger
- Gaming Commission gives nod to Coast city's first casino
- New owners plan cautious change for Highland Village
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- Aldermen review adult business ordinance, call public hearing
- New boutique hotel to replace Oxford’s Downtown Inn