Bounds jumps parties, Franks angry
JACKSON — A Mississippi House member has switched from Democrat to Republican.
The Clarion-Ledger reports that Rep. Scott Bounds announced his decision during a news conference today at Republican Party Headquarters in Jackson.
Bounds noted his “conservative philosophical and policy beliefs” as the reason for his change.
The announcement drew an angry response from Democratic Party chairman Jamie Franks. In a statement, Franks said, “The truth of the matter is that Scott has been a Democrat in name-only. He has voted with the majority of Republicans more times than most Republican members of the House have. In fact, no Democrat has voted fewer times with the Democratic majority on key issues than Scott.
“What Scott Bounds did today was not switch parties, he just finally started telling the truth about what party he supports. He’ll have to answer to voters in Neshoba County about lying to them for so long.”
With Bounds’ switch, there will be 50 Republicans in the House, and the chamber will have 72 Democrats.
Bounds is from Philadelphia and has been in the Legislature since 2004.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Bounds jumps parties, Franks angry”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Scientists seeing more invasive trapjaw ants on Coast
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- Trop Greenville ahead of schedule on significant expansion