Business, community leader dies at home
CLARKSDALE — Business and community leader George Walker of Clarksdale died Friday at his home.
Walker was chairman of the State Board of Community and Junior Colleges when he died. A board spokesman said Walker was 83.
Walker founded Delta Wire in Clarksdale in 1978. Coahoma County Chamber of Commerce executive director Ron Hudson said the company made wire that went into tires. Hudson said the company closed in 2009.
Hudson said Walker was also chairman of the Industrial Foundation. He described Walker as the “ultimate, consummate volunteer.”
Hinds Community College president Clyde Muse said Walker made a strong impact on the college system in the area of workforce training.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- State’s new banking chief Charlotte Corley has deep roots in the business
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending