Business, community leader dies at home
CLARKSDALE — Business and community leader George Walker of Clarksdale died Friday at his home.
Walker was chairman of the State Board of Community and Junior Colleges when he died. A board spokesman said Walker was 83.
Walker founded Delta Wire in Clarksdale in 1978. Coahoma County Chamber of Commerce executive director Ron Hudson said the company made wire that went into tires. Hudson said the company closed in 2009.
Hudson said Walker was also chairman of the Industrial Foundation. He described Walker as the “ultimate, consummate volunteer.”
Hinds Community College president Clyde Muse said Walker made a strong impact on the college system in the area of workforce training.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal