Business, community leader dies at home
CLARKSDALE — Business and community leader George Walker of Clarksdale died Friday at his home.
Walker was chairman of the State Board of Community and Junior Colleges when he died. A board spokesman said Walker was 83.
Walker founded Delta Wire in Clarksdale in 1978. Coahoma County Chamber of Commerce executive director Ron Hudson said the company made wire that went into tires. Hudson said the company closed in 2009.
Hudson said Walker was also chairman of the Industrial Foundation. He described Walker as the “ultimate, consummate volunteer.”
Hinds Community College president Clyde Muse said Walker made a strong impact on the college system in the area of workforce training.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State