Business, community leader dies at home
CLARKSDALE — Business and community leader George Walker of Clarksdale died Friday at his home.
Walker was chairman of the State Board of Community and Junior Colleges when he died. A board spokesman said Walker was 83.
Walker founded Delta Wire in Clarksdale in 1978. Coahoma County Chamber of Commerce executive director Ron Hudson said the company made wire that went into tires. Hudson said the company closed in 2009.
Hudson said Walker was also chairman of the Industrial Foundation. He described Walker as the “ultimate, consummate volunteer.”
Hinds Community College president Clyde Muse said Walker made a strong impact on the college system in the area of workforce training.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast