Business, community leader dies at home
CLARKSDALE — Business and community leader George Walker of Clarksdale died Friday at his home.
Walker was chairman of the State Board of Community and Junior Colleges when he died. A board spokesman said Walker was 83.
Walker founded Delta Wire in Clarksdale in 1978. Coahoma County Chamber of Commerce executive director Ron Hudson said the company made wire that went into tires. Hudson said the company closed in 2009.
Hudson said Walker was also chairman of the Industrial Foundation. He described Walker as the “ultimate, consummate volunteer.”
Hinds Community College president Clyde Muse said Walker made a strong impact on the college system in the area of workforce training.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete