Congressional delegation pushing storm relief
WASHINGTON — Members of the Mississippi congressional delegation have again rallied to support the State of Mississippi’s request for a presidential disaster declaration to aid victims of floods and tornadoes that tore through North Mississippi earlier this month.
The entire delegation sent President Obama a letter endorsing the disaster declaration application submitted by Gov. Haley Barbour to the White House late last week.
The state’s request seeks a federal disaster declaration for six north Mississippi counties where tornadoes May 1 and subsequent flooding killed six people and damaged hundreds of homes. The governor’s initial application would cover Alcorn, Benton, Lafayette, Prentiss, Tippah and Tishomingo counties.
Regarding the May 1 tornado damages, the Mississippi lawmakers wrote: “The latest estimates show that six Mississippi lives have been lost and nearly 250 residences were destroyed or have major damage and 482 homes received minor damage. Much of this destruction has occurred in parts of our state that have been particularly affected by our nation’s current economic situation. Many of these counties have poverty levels that are more than double the national average.”
Members of the congressional delegation have been consulting with Barbour, the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and local officials regarding recovery efforts and outstanding needs in the damaged region. The issuance of a presidential disaster declaration, as requested by the state, would trigger the release of federal disaster assistance and resources.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom