Workforce housing project underway
Published: May 12,2010
GULFPORT — A $41-million workforce housing project is underway on the Gulf Coast in an effort to provide more affordable five years after Hurricane Katrina.
According to a WLOX-TV report, the first phase of Piper Woods Subdivision will have 72 units. A second phase will be built at another location in North Gulfport.
Southern States Housing Group is developing the project through the Mississippi Development Authority’s (MDA’s) Long-Term Workforce Housing Program.
At least 51 percent of the homes will be reserved for low and moderate-income residents.
MDA says of the $5.4 billion in post-Katrina federal assistance for Mississippi, about $3 billion is for housing recovery initiatives like the Piper Woods Subdivision.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation