Farrington receive eponymous award
by MBJ Staff
Published: May 16,2010
The University of Mississippi School of Business Administration has presented its Farrington Distinguished Entrepreneur Award to Jan and Lawrence Farrington, a Ridgeland couple who are both Ole Miss alumnae. The couple was surprised to receive the award, and stunned to learn that it was named in their honor.
Investors in the Mississippi Angel Group and direct investors for many start-up firms, the Farringtons have been instrumental in founding FNC Inc. and Vino Del Sol, both ventures of UM alums. The couple has also been generous with their time and gifts to Ole Miss, including speaking to classes about entrepreneurship, judging the Business Plan Competition and funding scholarship opportunities.
An independent oil and gas businessman, Lawrence Farrington is a 1958 Ole Miss business school graduate. He has worked as a general partner of Vaughey & Vaughey Oil Co. and in the petroleum department of Deposit Guaranty National Bank. He started his own company, Atwood Alarm Co., which he later sold. He continues to be involved in oil and gas, as well as land and business investments. A former chairman of the UM Business Advisory Council, he serves on the Mississippi Arts Commission.
Jan Farrington, who earned her bachelor’s degree in education from UM in 1965, is executive director of the Medical Support and Development Organization Inc. She also serves on the board of directors for FNC Inc., Mississippi Technology Alliance and Jeff Anderson Regional Medical Center in Meridian. A former national president of the UM Alumni Association, she is president-elect of the UM Foundation board of directors.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment